Friday, March 15, 2013

Daddy

I really miss my dad. Sometimes, when something crappy happens or if I just want to cry, I just wish that I could give my dad a big hug. He's a big guy, and his big hugs are the best. Right now, I could use a big hug from my daddy.

When I was little, he used to call me Princess, and I loved it so much. It was my favorite thing. That's one nickname I've had that's lasted for my whole life - he still calls me Princess every now and then, and it still just seems so natural. It's so sweet and I love it more than I can explain. 

My dad is the world's biggest fan of classic rock and everything from that era. He listens to it all the time - Queen, Lynard Skynard, REO Speedwagon, Meat Loaf, ACDC, Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Blue Oyster Cult, Bon Jovi, Boston, and so many others. That's all I listened to when I was growing up. Some of my favorite memories are of me and my dad singing the song "Riding the Storm Out" by REO Speedwagon. That's the first song I remember actually knowing the words to, and I loved singing it with him whenever he played it.

He has gotten so much better. This sad, beaten-down man that I've always known is beginning to smile more and laugh - really laugh at things. He's not as angry as he used to be. He likes to be around people a little bit more than he used to. He is still praying to find God; to find out if he's really there and figure out what he's all about. He is sober, and has been since the middle of January. Now, I realize that two months is not a super long time, but it's long enough to prove to me that he really does want to change. I admire him so much for that. He's told me that he knows he has messed a lot of things up, but that he's ready to fix them. One year ago, these changes he's made were things I prayed for, but had no idea for sure if they would ever happen. But they're happening. I just can't wait to see what happens with this funny man that I love so much. I just hope he finds God soon. Then that way, he'll really be able to see the blessings that will come while I'm on my mission. Not only that, but his life will be so much better. I know he'll figure it out. He's a smart guy.

I love him. That's really all there is to it. 
Just so the world knows, he's my daddy forever. None of this "dad" stuff that big kids say these days. He'll always just be my daddy. And that's all I really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment