Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Verb Count

I'm currently sitting in the library, trying to do my homework, but I keep getting distracted. Honestly, this happens all the time, so it's not surprising. My ADD is not really all that interesting, but today I wanted to talk about it because two words in particular keep coming to mind. Recently in my life, these two words have really started meaning a lot to me, because they come up often enough that I can't ignore it anymore. Accept and immerse. Two words that don't necessarily relate in any way, but two words that mean the world to me.

Accept. I need to get better at accepting things. Compliments, forgiveness, love. I've always had a problem with this, but over the past year and a half (interestingly, but not coincidentally, the amount of time that I've been Mormon) it's gotten a lot better. The thing I really want to accept and understand is the gift of the Savior's love and His Atonement. Sometimes I forget that there's more to the Atonement than what I think is "my end of the bargain" - the most beautiful description I've heard of this recently is that He is literally offering me His hand, and I just have to take it.  I just have to accept it.

Immerse. This one is great. I love this word. It so perfectly describes what I have to do: immerse myself in the gospel of Jesus Christ. "To immerse" is certainly not a one time thing - it's on-going and changing and developing and growing. I am here at BYU, for goodness' sake. You'd think that I would have been able to do that properly by now. But I haven't. I will though. And I know that as soon as I do, my life will change so dramatically.
-------------------------------------------
Fun facts, to prolong my homework break:
I chew a strangely large amount of gum on a daily basis.
Today, I am wearing a shirt that I was originally afraid to buy, but now I love it.
I write on my hands. And I think people think it looks ugly. But it's the only way I remember things.
I don't really like the cold. I love the snow, but I'm not a huge fan of 4 degree weather.
I am falling in love with my writing class, which I am genuinely surprised about.
Every single day, I see at least one person on campus that looks enough like someone I know from home that I have to do a double take, then remind myself that 93% of the people I know don't live in Provo, Utah.
I pretty much suck at basketball.

And, that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment