Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Long time, No blog

It has been way too long since the last time that I blogged. It's really sad. I've promised myself that I will be re-living some of my recent experiences and writing about them so that they can reside here forever.

Today was such a great day. It's fall, and since Utah is similar in beauty to Colorado, I was feeling extra blessed walking by all of the red and yellow trees, crunching the dry leaves that had already fallen, and basking in the warm, autumn sunshine.

Classes were good today, and I went with my friend Hope with our ward to the Homecoming opening ceremony today. It was really fun, even though it was slightly cheesy. I was just happy that I didn't miss it. I was really bummed that I missed homecoming at my high school this year, which I felt really lame about because college kids are supposed to be over high school. Let me just say, homecoming at BYU is about to crush homecoming at Arapahoe High School.

I had a nice conversation today after class with Jordan Christensen, who served a few months of his mission in my ward. I've run into him a few times now, and it's always so funny to see him as a normal person, without his missionary tag. He is so funny though, I love talking to him.

I was desperately searching for a friend to Hike/Light the Y with me tonight, but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go. Lighting the Y is a tradition during homecoming week here, and I love hiking and traditions so I certainly didn't want to miss it. My friend Hope and I, again, journeyed up to the trail head with a bunch of other people in big vans, which sounds kind of strange, but it really wasn't. Our van was full of awesome people. The hike itself was great - we held a tarantula, talked about life, and helped light the Y! It was so great. I think Hope and I are going to be great friends. It was nice to get away from the stresses of life and hike and chat for a while. It was probably the most perfect, clear, beautiful night to do such a thing.

I feel so incredibly blessed to go to such a prestigious university. Prestigious is not meant to sound cocky or self-righteous; I am just proud to go to a school that holds its students to such a high standard. BYU is so fun and beautiful because of that standard. My math teacher talked about General Conference talks yesterday; the girls on my floor talk obsessively about serving missions and their availability dates, now that the age has changed. Boys respect girls, and girls wear modest clothing that makes them look truly beautiful. I love this place. As much as I sometimes miss home, I love where I am, and I couldn't think of a better place for me to be right now.


I'm still riding on the happiness of seeing one of my best friends this weekend. Taylor Florene Gannon (pictured above). I miss this girl, and it just made me so darn happy to see her again. I can tell already that this week is going to be a Happy Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment