Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Little Bit of Reminiscing

Right this very moment, I am sitting at the same polished, wooden table I've sat at so many times. Same chairs, same slightly scarred surface. The only real difference is that this table has been relocated - rather than sitting in an apartment in Denver, Colorado, this table is now housed by a beautiful little home in Ogden, Utah. Quite the journey if you ask me.

I love visiting old friends, and seeing how so many things are the same and so many things are different about people when a few years separate the last time you truly sat down and talked to each other. Life is funny that way. Our perspective changes when we realize how much time has passed; how much life we've lived. It's funny to think that at the end of every year, we look back and think, "How did time go by so fast?" when every Monday morning we thought "I can't wait until Friday."


I have the opportunity this weekend to spend time with my dear friends, The McVeighs. They were kind enough to invite me over to stay with them for the weekend. Let me just say, these are some of the kindest people I have ever known. Not only do they live their lives in the service of God, but they live their lives in the service of people. Both Benjer and Jennifer are extremely involved in their church - Benjer is a youth pastor and Jennifer teaches Bible study. This is so great, to see them so happy and involved, but it's definitely bittersweet for me. We went to church together once upon a time, and Benjer was the youth pastor of my youth group. I miss those times, and I miss Benjer and Jennifer, but I treasure all of the things that they did for me and the rest of those kids. Whether they knew it then or not, they completely transformed our youth and showed us a way of having a relationship with God that we had never known before. It was difficult - membership in that church - and a lot of people walked away deeply hurt from their experience there. It wasn't perfect. But I loved that youth group, and I loved those people like they were my family. Back then, they were my family. As much as I miss that place, I know that everything that has happened between then and now was always supposed to happen. The experience I had there was necessary for me in my life, for me to be able to learn and grow. The great, fun, and old cliche "Everything happens for a reason" is entirely true, and I believe that with my whole heart.


It's wonderful to be here with the McVeighs, to see their beautiful daughters and spend time with such a wonderful family. This weekend came at just the right time; I needed some sort of escape, even if just for a few days. College is wonderful; Provo is wonderful; Mormons are wonderful; but sometimes, you just need to take a step back and enjoy life, really enjoy life, and the simple joys it has to offer. I let my own stress and worries get in the way of the other stuff sometimes. But here, I feel like I can take it easy. I'm also learning a lot here, and I can't wait to bring these things back with me. I can always learn something here. I can always learn something everywhere. How wonderful and true is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment